Distance: 17.4m round trip | Climb: 935ft | Surface: gravel
This trail follows French Creek through the French Creek Natural Area. Although there is no marked trail, paths of previous users are easy to follow. The trail crosses the creek many times. This trail is loved by photographers & fishermen due to the abundance of wild flowers, wildlife-watching opportunities and outstanding trout fishing.
- From Custer, take Highway 16 east to Highway 87,
- Turn right on Highway 87.
- Turn left onto Lame Johnny Rd, trailhead is located on North Lame Johnny Rd, 3 miles from Blue Bell Lodge.
- From Custer, take Highway 16 east to the State Game Lodge.
- Turn right on the Wildlife Loop Road.
- Go 4 miles south of the State Game Lodge on the Wildlife Loop Road.